Wednesday, July 26, 2006


Urban Memories: Past and Future Images

Everyday in some way I see reminders of two amazing tragedies that either destroyed or nearly destroyed major portions of the great urban areas of New York and New Orleans. Actually, it seems I am always catching glimpses of theses incredible cities on old television shows, in movies from the past, and in books printed not so long ago. I have never been to either of these historical, grand and glorious cities. Yet when I see their images, I feel connected by some sort of genetic memory of having once been there.

Then, I think, "I can't look back." "Better to look forward."
But not to look back denies the beauty and power of what once existed. Looking forward requires information about what is possible. This process can be very time consuming. It can be very time consuming especially when future urban concepts are riddled with political, governmental, and design disagreements.

Is it possible to rebuild, recapture, and redesign such a myriad of buildings, homes, cultures, and traditions which have been so devastatingly ruined? Sometimes I think "yes" in my heart, even though my mind says, "impossible."

The digital art featured here is called "Urban Images". I created this design to reflect what I felt about the beautiful cities which suffer the tragic events of terroists, natural disasters, war, neglect and devastation. "Urban Images" (copyright 2006 amber silverstar) is available on wonderful products at http://www.cafepress.com/urbanimages. "Keep your Destiny Bright, use words of beauty".

Love and Light,

Amber Silverstar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know what you are thinking, your comments, and your feelings.